Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Thoughts on Sending Ukrainian Exchange Student Home


Tomorrow I am taking my Exchange Student to the airport to send her back to her home country of Ukraine.   This would be a hard enough because I have grown to love her as if she was my own daughter, but the situation is much more complicated than that.
When I looked at her profile I only vaguely knew where Ukraine was.  I was humbled to learn that Ukraine is about the size of Texas.  Upon her arrival I was enchanted by the pictures of Churches that were built in the 11th century. Pictures of people wearing crowns of brightly colored flowers, their holidays sounded like they were from a fairy tale.
Learning about the beauty meant that I also had to learn about the hardships. The people in Ukraine live on a salary of a couple hundred dollars a month. They take care of what they have because if they don’t have what they need they must learn to live without, and many live without.
This Ukraine changed in a few weeks to a country of unrest and uncertainty.  I know that my student will make it home safe to her friends and family. But then what? It is so hard for me to let her go when I know that War or Annexation are in the near future. 
I wish I could keep my student here and not send her back. The visa rules are strict. She would be penalized if she stays after her visa expires.  I have watched the despair in her eyes as the United States Visa office closed in Ukraine making her dream of coming to college here seem impossible. The value of the Ukrainian hryvnia  has dropped in value by almost half. Making it harder for her parents to afford college in any country.  
Part of me feels that she must go back. She isn’t mine.  She belongs to Ukraine. Ukraine needs her they need her strength, her courage, her honesty.  Somehow I feel like sending her back will fix the country.  They have fallen apart while she is gone and maybe she can bring balance and leadership back.  
But my heart breaks and I think no! She is mine! Why her? She is too precious and sweet to be in such a harsh environment.  Can’t I keep her here where she will be safe, and have everything that she needs.  Why must I send this beautiful gem back into the uncertainty and darkness of the unknown?  I feel powerless and naive for not finding some way to fix this. Would someone else in my shoes be able to fix this problem?  
So, tomorrow I will hug her and say goodbye and try and smile as the tears come.  As she walks away I will pray that someday I will get to hug her again and listen as she tells me stories of her once again peaceful Ukraine.


2 comments:

  1. Lindsey, we are thinking of you and praying for YOU during this difficult time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this...Yes you will miss her...

    ReplyDelete